Monday, March 5, 2012

Canine Companions for Independence

Back in January, after hearing from Cain and Ellie about Canine Companions for Independence while in Denton, I had an epiphany.  I decided that I should apply for a canine companion.  It is something me and my family have been considering for many years now, and I decided that now was the right time.

I have been living on my own for about 5 years, now.  But even though I've been able to live independently for so long it has not been without its difficulties.  I guess things started to change when I had some falling episodes back during the Fall semester, one of which caused me to have a black eye.  Of course, having balance issues as a result of Cerebral Palsy, falling, for me, isn't uncommon.  It happens from time to time.  But living by myself, I'm worried that one of these times I am going to fall and seriously injure myself, and be unable to get myself back up.  My thinking was that a canine companion could help with this.  Cain said that Ellie went and got help for him when he fell one time, and if I could get a dog to at least open my apartment door so that I can call for help, that would give me a piece of mind.

On top of this, it is difficult for me to independently open doors that do not have an automatic door push button.  Also, I have difficulty picking things up off the floor (and I'm constantly dropping things).  I think a Canine Companion would be helpful for these reasons, as well.

I sent in my completed application back in February to the Canine Companion for Independence midwest regional center in Ohio.  I was told that after they review my application it will be decided whether or not I'm a qualified enough candidate to go onto the next step, which is the phone interview.  I have not heard anything from them, as of yet, but I have not given up hope.  They are very busy people over there.  And if it is determined that a Canine Companion is not right for me, though I will be disappointed, I will understand.  There are many people out there whose disabilities are more severe than my own who could probably use a Canine Companion more than I could, though I do think I would benefit from the program.

I'll be sure to update the blog if I hear anything from them in the near future. :)

*UPDATE - 3/26* I made it to the phone interview part of the application process!  I have an interview scheduled for this coming Thursday, so I will let you know how it goes!

*UPDATE - 4/7* My phone interview went well.  Now I have to send in a medical history form filled out by my physician.  If that goes through, and everything is good, then I go on to the personal interview stage!

No comments:

Post a Comment