Thursday, April 12, 2012

Aging, Technology, and the LIS Professional

Today, while I was in class, I was sitting there watching my professor fumble and struggle with the projection system, when a thought occurred to me: "Wait a second.  He (my professor) is an older person struggling with the use of new technology, just like we've talked about in Project ALFA.  Why has no one sought to teach him how to effectively use this technology?"

You see, we, as students take for granted that because a professor has their doctorate, it means that they know all and don't need to be taught.  But today, in my professor, I saw my grandfather struggling to understand his new computer.  As my professor became confused when his YouTube link didn't work, and as he struggled to navigate Firefox, I thought of all of the other professors that are about his age (60+), that would probably benefit from a course teaching them how to manage this new technology.

This entire semester, I've been groaning and complaining because all this professor does is stand there and lecture, there are no powerpoint slides or anything to look at.  Perhaps he doesn't know how to use Powerpoint?  I never even thought of that.

For me, it would be awkward to go up to my professor and suggest a technology course at his local library, or what have you; but in the future, I will now, when I think of the aging, will not just picture retired persons, but persons who have careers, as well, and need to acquire this information about technology in order to excel in their careers.  Although, I think that even the younger professionals could probably benefit from a refresher course.  Maybe Wayne State's SLIS should think about a having professional development day where everything from how to use a projector to how to make a powerpoint is covered.

No comments:

Post a Comment